church HISTORY TOUR details
- What should I pack?
a. Casual clothing: Pack casual, modest clothing appropriate for warm/hot & humid temperatures. Shorts are okay. Be prepared for temperatures in the 80/90s with high humidity. You will want to bring hats, sunscreen, sunglasses and anything else to help keep you cool (small fan, etc.). You may want to bring a jacket for the evenings.
You may also want to bring a swimming suit as many of the hotels have a pool.
Church Clothing: We will attend church. I recommend bringing church casual since it will be difficult to change following church. Something that is appropriate for church but also okay to walk around in and do some site seeing.
b. Temples: You will have the opportunity to attend the temple in Nauvoo. They do have rentals, but I recommend bringing your own as we will be a large group. If you choose to go to the Palmyra temple, you will need to do so on your own time late in the evening. They do NOT rent clothing at Palmyra so you will need to bring your temple clothing if you would like to do a session there. In Palmyra, you will be responsible getting to and from the temple and arranging your session.
c. Bus Time: There is a lot of bus time. For those of you with children and youth, you may want to bring some ways for them to be distracted on the bus.
d. Snacks: We are not always able to easily control when we can stop for lunch. You may want to bring a few snacks with you to help during the day.
e. Overnight Bag: You will want to bring an overnight bag. The day you fly from Cleveland to Kansas City, you will leave most of your luggage on the bus and take one change of clothes and toiletries with you in an overnight bag. This will speed up the check in process at the airport. You will not check any luggage. The bus will head to Missouri with your luggage and meet you the next morning.
- Currency Recommendations: You will need cash for lunches and a little bit of tipping.
- Passports/Identification: You will need your government issued photo ID for the flights. Make sure your ID name (first and last names) match your invoice names.
- Day Schedule: I have attached a daily itinerary. Be aware that this is subject to some change as we go along. Please stay flexible with your schedule.
A typical daily schedule will consist of an early wake up call 6:30 AM. Buffet breakfast at around 7:00. Be ready to board the bus by 8:00 so that we can fit in all the sites during the day. In the late afternoon, we will return to the hotel for dinner around 6:00 or 7:00. All breakfasts and dinners will be at the hotels. Lunches will be on your own. We will stop somewhere around lunch time during the day.
Please be courteous to other tour participants by arriving promptly in the morning for our daily departure and when we leave each of the sites. If we leave late, it will affect our ability to see all the sites.
- Tipping: You will want to tip the bus driver. A recommended tip is $3 per person, per day ($20-$25 per person for the trip). You are not required to tip the LDS tour guide; however, if you would like to leave give him a tip, something similar to what you tip the driver would be appropriate.
- Meeting up with the group: We have dinner scheduled at the hotel the first night for 7:00. We will meet the group there. For those who arrive late that night, please be in the lobby the next morning ready to go by 7:45 AM.
- Transfer to the hotel: After you have picked up the luggage, call the hotel and they will send a free shuttle to pick you up. If there are a lot arriving at the same time, you may need to wait for it to come back. You can either wait or take a taxi/Uber to the hotel if the wait is going to be long. The hotel’s number is 315-432-0200.
If you have issues with your flight or if you are unable to meet up with the group for other reasons, please contact Anthony in case of emergency at 801-874-9196. Or you can call me (Dave) at 801-850-1498.
Double Tree by Hilton Syracuse
6301 State Route 298 East Syracuse
New York, 13057
Best Western- Palmyra Inn and Suites
955 Canandaigua Rd.
Palmyra, NY 14522
Holiday Inn- Cleveland Northeast-Mentor
7701 Reynolds Rd.
Mentor OH 44060
Stoney Creek Independence
18011 Bass Pro Drive
Independence, MO 64055
1780 Stonegate Center Dr.
Burlington, IA 52601
Thanks for choosing Bountiful Travel. If we can be of further assistance, don’t hesitate to call.
We hope that traveling with us is a fun and uplifting adventure!
Over the past 100 years, almost every session of general conference has been held in Salt Lake City, Utah. The only exception came in 1980, when a session of conference was broadcast instead from a small, commemorative log home on a 100-acre farm in Fayette, New York. That spring, the Church looked back to remember the place where it had been organized April 6, 1830, a century and a half earlier. Before there were temples, tabernacles, or meetinghouses, believers gathered in a home to welcome God’s work.
Church history tour group at Palmyra temple in New York for pics on the right, and tour group at Ohio Kirtland temple above. Can you find mom?