Mom and Merv took a big step towards home this morning. We were a little more open about what we'd like to see happen with him and they decided to let us move to one of their "boarding rooms" with him in the NICU. There's a nice bed (see ya later parking lot camping), sink, private bathroom etc where it's just us and the baby. We take charge of all his cares, monitoring, feeding etc. as like a "trial" run to make sure he, and we, do well the rest of today and tonight and then hopefully tomorrow he'll be discharged. He will be discharged with oxygen. He's still de-sating a little I guess but if we choose to try and get him off oxygen before he leaves it could likely be another week!! Nothing is guaranteed here, meaning if anything alarming happens today or tonight he won't be home tomorrow. The main thing is if he has any extended episode of apnea or bradycardia (stops breathing, or heart rate drops real low). We don't think that will be an issue but Merv has been known to hold his breathe too long to send a message.
Leave a Reply.